Greenwood was home to the
on the south side of Boggy Bayou, and their trail led
through present-day Greenwood to Cross Lake. At least
one Indian chief is the inhabitant of an unmarked grave
in a local graveyard.
Dr. Alfred Flournoy, one of the first
citizens, settled here in 1836. He had been in the
Battle of Pensacola in the War of 1812, where he lost a
leg. Afterward he went to New Orleans, where he was
helped by Andrew Jackson, a family friend, and attended
by Rachel Jackson. The Jackson's got him to Natchez, and
from there he headed to his home in Tennessee. In the
1820s he returned to Louisiana, and in 1836 he staked
off land in Greenwood, not acquiring the title until the
government surveyed Greenwood two years later.
Most of the settlers came from Tennessee,
though some came from Alabama, South Carolina, and
Georgia. These pioneers, not typical of the area, had
rosewood furniture in their parlors and peacocks in
Texas had gained its independence from
Mexico in 1836, but did not immediately gain statehood.
It served as the Republic of Texas, and as it lacked a
post office, mail was sent to Greenwood and marked “Hold
for Texas.” Residents of the Republic of Texas visited
the area twice a year to collect their mail.
Greenwood petitioned Congress in 1844 to annex the
Republic of Texas. Flournoy wrote the petition and was
the first of 125 signatures made by the prominent
citizens of the parish. Flournoy’s goal was to have more
Congressional power in the South.
William Littlejohn, a native of North
Carolina, established a trading post with the Indians at
the northeast corner of the present-day intersection of
Mooringsport Road and U. S. Highway 80 in 1838. In 1839
he owned Section 23, in which the town is located. He
died in Greenwood in 1850 and is buried in an unmarked
In 1841 the Greenwood Town Company wanted
to plat the town and sell lots. The organizers included
Littlejohn, Flournoy, Samuel Greenwood, Dr. Samuel
Nixon, Caleb Eubanks, Charles A. Edwards, James H. Cane,
William L. Lewis, Benjamin W. Bedford, John G. Jones,
and Daniel W. Edgely.
The Greenwood Town Company ambitiously planned for
Greenwood to serve as the parish seat and gave their
public square as the future site of the courthouse.
Shreveport won out as the head of the parish, but
Greenwood served as a holding place for the parish
records for a few days in 1864 when the Union troops
were threatening Shreveport during the Civil War.
In the 1850s, Greenwood was a flourishing
town. Nearly 100 wagons, pulled by eight to ten oxen,
visited the area each day.
These wagon trains brought cotton from Texas and bought
The up-and-coming town had a tanning yard, a distillery,
a foundry and machine shop, three brick yards, a plow
and wagon factory, a blacksmith and tin shop, two
two-story schools, seven stores, three saloons, a
Masonic lodge, two cotton gins, a saddlery, and the
expertise of five doctors.
Lack of reverence to the ladies of the town was not
tolerated. Without ceremony, the offender would be shot
or challenged on the spot. Records from this time verify
that these actions were taken and that attorneys
remained inactive in such a situation.
As the town was determined to have a
hotel, William Garret built a two-and-one-half-story
hotel in 1857 at the corner of the wagon road to the
west (present day U. S. Highway 80) and Magnolia Street.
The hotel had fifteen rooms and a large ballroom.
After the Battle of Mansfield during the Civil War, it
served as a hospital. Shortly afterward it was sold and
in about 1866 converted into a residence for William
Culp Agurs. In 1916 it was demolished.
Only a Methodist church was established,
although the settlers also included Episcopalians,
Baptists, and Presbyterians. The Methodist society was
established as early as 1841 with the church being
incorporated in 1849. A Baptist church was built later.
A survey made in that year shows the
Shreveport Road leading northeast to connect with the
Texas Road. The road heading southwest was called
Walden’s Ferry Road, which led to Walden’s Ferry and
crossed the Sabine River.
Until the late 1920s, the streets of Greenwood went
unpaved and wooden planks were laid out along the roads
for makeshift sidewalks. In the 1920’s two cotton gins
stood in Greenwood, and the cotton was shipped by
railroad with the tracks running next to the gin. The
cotton production declined in the 1930’s.
The unmarked grave of William Davis, the
only Revolutionary War veteran in Caddo Parish, was
discovered in an overgrown site of Mount Olive Baptist
Church Cemetery south of Greenwood. Apparently Davis’s
grave was moved to Caddo Parish in 1839.
The first school building in Caddo Parish
stood on a ten-acre tract in Greenwood. It was chartered
in 1838, the year the parish was formed, and served as
the only operating school in the parish until 1845. The
Trustees donated the school to the parish as a public
school in 1849. A new building was completed in 1909,
and in the 1920s additions were made that nearly doubled
the size of the school.
Although the school had an early establishment, its
first graduating class was not until 1922.
The school consisted of two floors with four rooms per
floor. The grade school was on the first floor, and the
high school occupied the upper floor. Students from
Waskom, Texas and Bethany, Louisiana were known to
Greenwood High School closed its doors in 1960 and the
First Baptist Church of Greenwood bought the site.
The older portion of the school, which was located at
the center of this structure by this time, was
The dedication of Greenwood Fire District
No. 3 occurred on February 13, 1988 in front of the new
6,000-square-foot building at 8891 U. S. Highway 80.
The new building is about three blocks east of the
original 2,000-square-foot structure. The fire district
has three engines, two rescue trucks, a tank truck, and
a special response vehicle to serve Greenwood and the
areas to the south and west of the town. The $200,000
structure features living and sleeping quarters as well
as an office for the dispatcher. A tribute was made to
the late Bill Payne, a former chairman of the fire
district board who worked diligently to have a new
station constructed. He died in December of 1987, but
his widow, Frances Payne, was present to cut the ribbon.
There are six full-time and nine part-time firefighters
along with the local volunteer fire department.
PIONEER DAYS FESTIVAL
The Greenwood Pioneer Club, incorporated
in 1985 as the official tourism society for the town,
sponsors the three-day Pioneer Days Festival that was
formerly sponsored by the now obsolete Greenwood Riding
Club. The festival features a parade, live bands,
cloggers, a turtle race, and a historic tour of the
town. A mockery bank robbery and shootout also occurs.
Whitworth Home –
first brick home in Caddo Parish located about 3 miles
west of Greenwood.
Back to Top